RTSB organizer and emcee Nate Nevado continues with his firm belief in the power and praxis of hip hop in our communities. Sometimes traditional schooling has failed us. For many of us, hip hop has been there to fill the void. But an event like RTSB that champions the educational utility of hip hop does not come free.
Let's help Nate and the good folks at RTSB make the event happen. Their IndieGoGo online fundraising campaign is in full swing, having raised to date over $1,000 of the $15,000 goal. You can help them reach their goal by February 15th.
Keep the bells ringin!
What is Rock The School Bells?Rock The School Bells (RTSB) is a hip-hop educational youth conference based in the San Francisco Bay Area. It includes a comprehensive blend of workshops and performances that enhance students' ability to:
- think critically about current issues in their communities as well as in the world
- read and write about topics related to their life's experiences
- display effective oral and written communication through readings, spoken word and poetry
- understand the historical and cultural aspects of hip-hop and its effect on society, education and personal development
These workshops integrate the four key elements of hip-hop: b-boying (breakdancing), graffiti art, DJing (turntablism) and emceeing.
Some of RTSB's past workshops have covered topics such as:
- Hip-Hop Entrepreneurship
- DJ Fundamentals
- Hip-Hop and Social Justice
- B-Girl It's Your World
- Weapons of Mass Promotions